Sunday, April 6, 2014

Afrihili Days of the Week

In anticipation of last week's release of my Fiat Lingua paper Afrihili: an African Interlanguage, I took to Twitter to do a few Word of the Day posts. Because this is the sort of silliness that amuses me, each Word of the Day was the word for that day. Here they are in a tidy list:

  • Kurialu Sunday
  • Lamisalu Monday
  • Talalu Tuesday
  • Wakashalu Wednesday
  • Yawalu Thursday
  • Sohalu Friday
  • Jumalu Saturday

I wasn't able to find the source languages for these words, each of which ends in alu day.

For good measure, here are the months:

  • Kazi January
  • Rume February
  • Nyawɛ March
  • Forisu April
  • Hanibali May
  • Vealɛ June
  • Yulyo July
  • Shaba August
  • Tolo September
  • Dunasu October
  • Bubuo November
  • Mbanjɛ December

Again, the source languages aren't always clear, though July is coming from some European language. I must admit I didn't devote too much time to tracking these down, though. Some might be immediately obvious to some of my readers.

There aren't enough examples of time phrases to be sure of everything. The notion of "by (a month)" combines two adpositions, ɛn Shaba fo by August.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting, I would like to hear a conversation in Afrihili

    ReplyDelete